Friday, August 5, 2011

My Day in Asakusa

Today I had to go to school to take a medical checkup. So my friend and me made a promise to meet at 9:00am. But I was awakened by a friend's call "Why are you not here?" It happened at 9:00am. lol x)
I could take the checkup afternoon, but I wanted to go to Asakusa as soon as I can. So I went to school in a hurry, and took it during the morning.

Asakusa is a part of Tokyo. There are many traditional Japanese shops and an old temple in Asakusa. The name of the temple is Senso-ji. It was built in 628.



Near the Assakusa station, Tokyo Sky Tree is standing. It's really high!!! The height of it will be 634m next year. I can't still believe such a high building will be built in Japan where so many earthquakes occur. I'm also impressed by the Japanese seismic technology.



In Asakusa, I could see many Japanese traditional goods. When I visited to Asakusa last time, I was 12 or 13 years old. I was too young to understand Japanese traditional culture from them. Today I could know about Japanese traditional culture from foods, structures and scenery. So I'm glad that I could visit there today.









I took many pictures today, and put them here. So I think I don't need to write so much. Ah, but there is one thing which I want to write down here. I bought a furoshiki today. Furoshiki is Japanese traditional wrapping cloth. It's like a big handkerchief. People make various shape bags bags with tying it. You can call it "instant bag" ;) I made a bag with using furoshiki and rings. I put its picture too.


I have more pictures which I want to show you. haha x)
By the way, I'm not good at taking pictures. I have to study how to take good pictures x)
Thank you for reading. See you again :]

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this pretty post! You really post frequent, I hope it will be the same in the future, it will be a rather filled up blog.
    I liked the furoshiki color you had chosen. Furins are colorful and lively. And what are these shoes/slippers? They are quite sympathetic.
    One thing I can tell you for sure - Japan is very different from my country and got a lot of cultural explorations, which I hope to find out one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Shirokij
    Thanks for your comment.
    I'll do my best to keep writing for this blog.

    The shoes are one kind of geta which is Japanese traditional shoes. People had worn these shoes until the beginning of meiji era.
    If you have a chance to watch any Japanese historical drama or see drawing or something which show Japanese traditional wears, please try to check people's footware :]
    Of course, even today people wear geta with wearing kimono or yukata ;)

    On my side, I grew up in Japan, so I'm often surprised by knowing that some Japanese common things are not common in other countries. haha XD
    For example, recently, I was surprised by the truth that foreigners (except Taiwanese) don't eat raw eggs x)
    Your curious about Japanese culture will make you more enjoy to learn Japanese language, and it'll also make your Japan trip more enjoyable :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you eat raw eggs? Here I know few people who eat raw eggs(men only) and consider it rather "masculine". They drink them whole, making small hole at the top(sometimes add salt. I really don't know any other method of having a raw egg ^_^
    And, thanks, I enjoy learning Nihongo so much! Sure I won't be able to understand all that deep Japan culture to the whole, but even portions of it amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice, it seems to be a great place. I'm just living this short comment now, because I'm not feeling that well, but I wanted you to know that I read your post and that I liked the photos.
    I'll post some real comment another time...

    ReplyDelete